Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What He Saw at the Rally

Jerome Hudson, a 24-year-old African-American college student from Tallahassee, Florida was among the 300,000 (or so) who attended Glenn Beck's "Restoring Honor" rally last weekend.

He's published some thoughts on the experience at Human Events. While the entire piece is definitely worth a read, one of the most telling anecdotes comes from an encounter with other African-Americans, heading for Al Sharpton's "counter-rally." As Mr. Hudson writes, they were stunned to learn that he had no use for Mr. Sharpton, or his event:

At one point, some of the people attending the Rev. Al Sharpton's "counter rally," coined "Reclaiming King," stopped me. I guess they must have been judging me by the color of my skin not the content of my character, because they asked if I was going to come join them.

"No, I won't be there," I told them. "Why?" one of them asked with a grimace on his face. I looked at him and said, "I want to be where the Lord is and the Lord is in this place."

One of the older black women in the group asked me if I felt like I was "selling out" for being one of the "tokens" in the Beck rally crowd?

I laughed and said "Ma'am, Al Sharpton is a pretender. He is going to tell you to pretend that the color of your skin matters. He is going to ask you to ignore the now overwhelming proof that 50 years after the Civil Rights movement, blacks are now destroying each other faster than the KKK could have dreamed."

As I walked away, the group stood frozen, not knowing how to reply.

Later, as Sharpton preached a divisive message void of actual solutions on how to "close the education and economic gap" in the "black community," Dr. Alveda King, Martin Luther King's niece, invoked the spirit of her slain uncle proclaiming, "I too have a dream, that white privilege will become human privilege and that people of every ethnic blend will receive everyone as brothers and sisters in the love of God.”

Her comments on restoring the "foundation of the family" in America were met, not with boos, but with a thunderous applause.

(What bigots those white folks! Having the audacity to cheer Dr. King's niece like that. Racists the whole lot of them!)

[snip]

Standing in a crowd that stretched from the Washington Monument to Lincoln Memorial what happened on 8/28 was the most inspirational thing I had ever experienced.

Standing there, unhyphenated and united, this black man has never felt more free in his life.

It's a sentiment that was shared by almost everyone in that crowd.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Black conservatives are confused. Nothing on the Republican agenda helps poor black folks or for that matter poor white folks.