Monday, May 09, 2005

The BRAC List?

After a brief search, I found a copy of a draft BRAC list in my files. I must emphasize that this is NOT the final list of scheduled base closures and realignments. However, this document apparently did circulate at the upper levels of the Pentagon earlier this year, and I believe many of the installations in this draft will likely appear on the Friday's list.

I don't have time to post the full list at this time--it will appear in this blog tomorrow. However, a quick scan of the list indicates that as many as 49 bases, installations and support facilities are on the closure list, with another three slated for realignment.

In terms of local impact, California has the most closings, with seven. Three other states--Georgia, Texas, and Mississippi--would lose three bases each, under this version of the list.

Again, I must emphasize that the list I received is a draft. The number of military facilities and installations earmarked for closure may have decreased since earlier this year. I will post that list later tonight, or early tomorrow.

No comments: